Lower Columbia College | 1940s

Skip directly to:

LCC FacebookLCC photosLCC TwitterLCC blogLCC YouTubeLCC social

Lower Columbia College History ~ Brief Highlights from the 1940s

Lower Columbia Junior College entered its first decade, which was marked by WWII, an increase in veteran and women students, and the ability to collect state funds for construction of a college campus.

1940

Thirty-three students graduated from Lower Columbia Junior College (LCJC). Turfield Schindler, one of the college's founding faculty members, became President.

1941

Legislation passed allowing Washington Junior Colleges to receive state funds.

1942

LCJC obtained 26 acres from the Longview Company for a college campus.

1943

LCJC began offering night classes in radio and math and customized programs for high school seniors enlisting in the service. Tuition was paid by the federal government at $4 per credit. Courses in aviation, mechanics and flying were offered in order to support the war effort. An increase in women students resulted in a new secretarial science program.

1945

LCJC became part of the Longview School District, qualifying the college to collect property tax revenue to build a campus.

1946

Eighty-six veterans enrolled. Legislation passed allowing junior colleges to offer vocational, general education and transfer programs, and establish certification standards.

1949

Fall enrollment increased to 318 students. Half were veterans.