Lower Columbia College | 1950s

Skip directly to:

LCC FacebookLCC photosLCC TwitterLCC blogLCC YouTubeLCC social

Lower Columbia College History ~ Brief Highlights from the 1950s

Lower Columbia Junior College's second decade was marked by construction projects and enrollment increases as the economy rebounded after WWII and Cowlitz County's industrial base continued to grow.

1950

Lower Columbia Junior College (LCJC) opened in a new Main Building on the new campus. Enrollment reached 295. Welding classes were added.

By vote of the student council, the Columbian Red Devil became LCJC's new mascot. 61 students graduated.

1952

Sigurd Rislov became the new president of LCJC. The LCJC band was formed as a one-credit class taught by Bernard Butler. The Licensed Practical Nurse program began.

1954

The LCJC basketball team won its first league championship.

1954-55

LCJC football starGene Grumbois was named All American guard for ACJC by the Los Angeles Times.

1956

Enrollment reached 364 with 63 graduates.

1957

LCJC broke ground for a new Vocational Building and an addition to the Main building to house the college library. Enrollment reached 444 with 53 graduates.

1958

Enrollment reached 524. The first electronics course was offered.

1959

A new Science building opened. The Student Center, Truman Myklebust Gymnasium, Fine Arts Building, Applied Arts Building, and Administration Building were constructed. 89 students graduated.