Lower Columbia Junior College became Lower Columbia College (LCC). This decade was marked by construction projects, the establishment of the Lower Columbia College Foundation, and the Registered Nurse degree program had its first graduating class.
158 students graduated. The LCC men's baseball team won the first NWAACC championship. Faculty offices were added to the Vocational Building.
The Physical Science building was constructed. The Registered Nurse degree program had its first graduating class.
The LCC Bookstore (now International Center) was constructed. The first LCC Salmon Bake brought the community to campus, and salmon bakes continued through the late 70s.
LCC began sponsoring the Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP).
The LCC men’s basketball team placed second in state. LCC celebrated its 40th Birthday. Twelve new faculty were hired.
Enrollment topped 3,000. 160 students graduated. Eight new faculty were hired. The LCC men’s bowling team won the Oregon Collegiate League Championship.
The beginnings of the LCC English as a Second Language (ESL) program came from large populations of Vietnamese immigrants who began arriving in Longview in the mid-seventies.
The LCC Foundation was established. The LCC music department, directed by Jim Callihan, performed Musical 1776 for the bicentennial celebration in a Seattle opera house. The Registration Department reported that nearly half of the students were over age 25.
The Alan Thompson Library was constructed.
The LCC Art Gallery was established in the Main Building. Student Support Services (SSS) began helping disadvantaged students succeed in college, thanks to a federal grant.
A new greenhouse was built. The LCC Symphonic Band was founded. 14 new faculty members were hired. LCC President David Story retired.