|For more information about the Digital Archive Project, or to make a contribution contact:|
|Melinda Weatherford, Faculty Librarian
Toll Free 1.866.900.2311
Alan Thompson Library
see Campus Map
|Pictures and More
• Alma Mater
• Bookstore History
• Fight Song
• Theatre Archive - Center Stage History
• Archive Exhibit Photo Album on Flickr
• 75th Anniversary Playlist on YouTube
• LCC celebrates year 75 with gallery of old photos, The Daily News, November 5, 2009
• LCC Library looks to build community archive collection, The Daily News, November 14, 2008
Digital Archive Project
A permanent collection of materials representing Lower Columbia College's history are archived and in the Library.
Lower Columbia Junior College was established at Longview, Washington in September, 1934, as a public junior college through the initiative of a number of citizens residing at Longview, Kelso and neighboring communities.
The following highlights were collected from scrapbooks and other memorabilia.
See also: Community Effort Built LCC And Inspired Its Mission,
excerpted from the Winter 2010 Class Schedule.
Brief Highlights from the 1930s
College proponents led by Kiwanis President Harvey Hart held a meeting at the Monticello Hotel to gauge support for a college. 150 people participated.
The Longview Business and Professional Women led fund-raising efforts to raise $5,000 for a junior college. Tag sales, ukulele performances, a Fourth of July parade and street dances were held.
Lower Columbia Junior College (LCJC) was officially established.
October 2, 1934
LCJC officially opened with 53 students attending classes in three classrooms at R. A. Long High School. The cost of tuition was $50 per quarter.
January 18, 1935
The first issue of the Lower Columbian student newspaper was published.
E. J. (Ned) Berwind became the acting President of LCJC. In the Fall of 1934 LCJC was granted accreditation from the University of Washington.
Dr. David Livingstone Soltau became President of LCJC. Classes were moved to the first floor of the Longview Public Library.
Enrollment increased to 152 students. The LCJC Lower Columbians won the Washington State Junior College Basketball Championship.
First Board of Regents
from 1935-1936 Catalog
- Paul F. Miescke, Chairman
- F. M. Dallam, Kelso
- Mrs. C. A. Korten, Longview
- E. E. Lincoln, Kelso
- William Stuart, Kelso, Member of School Board, Kelso
- Fred S. Vaughn, Longview, Member of School Board, Longview
- Ray Hatch, Longview
- Guy L. Anderson, Longview
- Mrs. G. N. Campbell, Kalama, Regent-at-large
- Martin Stenerson, Treasurer
- Horace S. Taylor, Secretary
First Advisory Board
- M. A. Werthheimer, Honorary Chairman
- J. M. McClelland, Longview, Chairman
- Guy L. Anderson, Longview, Secretary
- Ray Hatch, Longview
- Edgar Reid, Kelso
- E. P. Stamm, Cathlamet