|Talent Search Application
Applications are also available at participating schools.
|Kelly Johnsen, Middle School
|Breanne Bok, High School
|Darren Schwegler, High School
Talent Search helps middle school and high school students explore education and career
choices through fun events and activities. All services are free. Funding provided
by the US Department of Education, Federal TRIO Program.
Success Strategies for Students
- Free tutoring from certified tutors
- Trips to plays, concerts and other cultural events
- Prep classes for SAT/ACT exams
- Visits to college and university campuses
- Help with college applications and financial aid paperwork
- Information sessions for parents
Who Can Join?
Students in grades 6 - 12, from low income backgrounds and with parents or guardians who did not complete a four-year college degree, are eligible. Some students who do not meet these criteria also qualify.
Lower Columbia College will partner with Longview and Kelso School Districts to serve 500 local students.
- Mark Morris High School
- R.A. Long High School
- Cascade Middle School
- Monticello Middle School
- Mt. Solo Middle School
- Kelso High/Loowit High School
- Coweeman Middle School
- Huntington Middle School
Apply and Get Started!
Middle School Students
Start now to discover your talents and set up the building blocks for your future. The Talent Search team will provide tutoring, advising and other ideas to reach your education and career goals. We’ll also organize field trips, cultural activities,and workshops for both you and your parents.
High School Students
Navigating high school can be tricky. The Talent Search Team will help you choose the right classes and achieve the grades required to pursue your college plans. We’ll show you how to check out college choices and fill out the paperwork for financial aid and college admissions applications. Along the way we’ll go on some field trips and provide workshops for you and your parents.
Fill out the Talent Search Application
College is just around the corner. Talent Search is here to help navigate the new territory by providing workshops for college admission, financial aid/scholarships, potential fee waivers for testing and help with key transitional stages such as middle school to high school and high school to college.
Resources and Links
- Big Future - college search made simple
- FirstGenerationStudent.com - want the lowdown on college? Look no further. This site is full of info for first-generation college students - kids who will be the first in their families to go to college.
- KnowHow2Go - learn about all things college; from middle school to senior graduation.
- What Kids Can Do - stories, articles and links supporting low-income and first-generation students.
- I'm First - are you the first in the family to attend college? Look here for inspiration and encouragement from others who’ve been there.
- Financial Literacy for Teens & Adults - learn how to be 'Money Smart' through a Financial Education Program by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
- Financial Aid - get help paying for college, submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- LCC Scholarships - going to LCC? Check out our scholarship opportunities.
- Washboard.org - get connected with all types of Washington scholarship providers, for free.
- KhanAcademy - videos on topics like K-12 math, biology, chemistry, physics and humanities.
- Math Fortress - "Fortify your math knowledge." A free online resource to walk students through math concepts from Algebra 1 through Calculus to Linear Algebra.
- Number2.com - free online test preparation.
- Varsity Tutors - free customized online tutorials and test preparation courses.