Lower Columbia College | Types of Aid

Skip directly to:

LCC FacebookLCC photosLCC TwitterLCC blogLCC YouTubeLCC social

Types of Aid Available at Lower Columbia College

There are many types of financial aid to help you with the cost of college. This page explains the types of aid available at Lower Columbia College.

Federal Grants

Lower Columbia College offers two types of federal grants: the Federal Pell Grant, and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG). These grants are considered "gift aid" and do not require repayment provided that you complete your courses. Eligibility for federal grants is determined by the Financial Aid Office after you have completed the financial aid application process.

Federal Pell Grant

Pell Grants are the foundation of federal student financial aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added. Pell Grants are generally awarded only to undergraduate students—those who haven’t earned a bachelor’s or graduate degree. Amounts can change yearly. The maximum annual award for 2014-2015 is $5,730.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

SEOGs are awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need—those with the lowest Expected Family Contribution* (EFC) numbers. Federal Pell Grant recipients receive priority for SEOG awards. The amount of the award is determined by your school’s financial aid office. Unlike Pell Grants, the amount of FSEOGs you receive depends not only on your financial need but also on the amount of other aid you get and the availability of funds at your school.

Other Grants

Washington State Need Grant

The Washington State Need Grant is another form of "gift aid" that doesn’t have to be repaid providing you complete your courses. This grant is available to you if you’re a Washington State resident with high financial need. Eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office after you’ve completed the financial aid application process.

New! Washington State Aid for Dreamers starting April 1, 2014 (WASFA)

A 2014 state law expanded eligibility for the Washington State Need Grant to low-income, non-citizen students who meet the program’s eligibility requirements and satisfy residency criteria. Learn more at Washington State Financial Aid.

Federal Loans

Federal student loans are a low-interest federal loan which require repayment. Lower Columbia College offers Federal Direct Stafford Loans and Federal Parent PLUS loans up to the cost of attendance. The maximum loan amount awarded depends on student need, dependent status, and year in college. Students must complete loan counseling, a master promissory note and submit a loan worksheet. PLUS applicants use a separate loan application

Stafford Loan Program

Lower Columbia College participates in the Direct Stafford Loan program which provides the best benefits for you as a borrower. This program is not a credit history-based program. Both subsidized and unsubsidized loans are available.

Federal Parent PLUS Loan Program

The Federal Parent PLUS loan program is a credit-based loan program available to qualifying parents. You’ll first need to complete the FAFSA before your parents can borrow money under this program. If your parents are denied the loan because of their credit rating, if you’re a dependent student (as defined by the FAFSA) you can usually borrow additional funds under this loan program.

Student Employment

Lower Columbia College participates in both federal and state work-study programs. Students can request a work-study job as part of their Financial Aid package and staff will help students determine their eligibility. Students may work on or off campus for up to 19 hours a week while attending school.  A limited number of student help jobs are also available. 


Scholarships are normally considered “gift aid” because they don’t need to be repaid, and are awarded to applicants who best meet the criteria for each award. The criteria vary but most are based on academic program, scholastic achievement and/or need. At Lower Columbia College, students can apply for multiple scholarships by completing a single online application. Applications are generally accepted January through April for the following academic year, but some scholarships may become available later.


Resident veterans who served in a combat zone or who provided direct support to American soldiers in a combat zone may qualify for special tuition rates and other financial aid. Assistance with completing the process to apply for college funds, veteran’s health benefits and other help is provided by the Veterans’ Affairs Coordinator’s office. To get started, veterans need Copy #4 of their DD Form 214, Report of Separation from Active Service.